Welcome!

This is totally an experiment. I know about blogs, I've read blogs, and I can write, but I have never attempted to blog myself. I guess I've never really felt like I had a compelling enough story. Well, I'm not sure I would use "compelling" to describe our story now, but I do know that since my diagnosis of cancer, Jon and I have been overwhelmed at the outpouring of love from family and friends all over the world. Many of you have questions and like to know what's going on in our world - medically and otherwise, and we are happy to share. Welcome to the "Rising Up" blog of the JOWT Friesen family!


Monday, April 18, 2011

Could it be spring?

Hi all,

Sorry it's been so long since I have updated.  I guess there is a lot going on at our house this... um... spring?  We thought it was spring, as our snow was melting and our streets were running like rivers.  Then last week we got another little blizzard, leaving us with 15ish more centimeters of the white stuff.  This week looks good - sunshine for until next week, and maybe even night times above zero by then too.  Yes, spring will come.  Question is, will we be hiding Easter eggs in snow this year instead of in the grass?

I guess the purpose of this blog was to update those that cared about cancer treatment and such.  Well, I finished my last induction treatment at the beginning of April.  That means I am now in the maitenance phase, and I will be getting the same treatment every three months instead of every three weeks.  I am getting all of the typical side effects from this drug, and all but one come in waves.  I'll go a few days with no rash and minimal itching, and then it will hit me full force, all over my torso, legs, arms, and drive me just about batty. Aveeno seems to work somewhat, and the rash isn't painful (just a bit "firey") so I can't complain too much.  I am feeling a bit tired lately, and headaches come and go, but mostly I am the same as always, feeling pretty good and able to get enough done in a day to feel useful. 

Oh - for those who didn't know, at the end of March, the FDA approved ipilimumab (now named Yervoy) for advanced stages of cancer (some stage III and stage IV).  This was GREAT news.  If cancer does return for me, I will be able to get the same drug I am already on.  It is a big breakthrough for those patients waiting for some sort of treatment - especially those who have gone through the few options there are and are kind of sitting ducks.  The approved treatment is 3 mgs per dose, and my clinical trial is 10mgs per dose, so I'm really being hammered with this stuff! 

I will have my next CT scan this Wednesday, and an appointment on Thursday - maybe I'll get the results back from the scan then?  It's been 3 months since my last scan.  Melanoma is a fast-growing cancer, and will form masses within 2 weeks.  It's a yucky thought.  Anyway, I would appreciate your prayers that the scan will be clear again.  It's nervewracking but I do know and believe that God already has it all figured out and will not be surprised either way.  I have many more thoughts on this, but I had better stop now as thinking about it doesn't help my anxiety level...  thanks for understanding.

So it's Easter which means MUSIC.  There is a lot going on this week with rehearsals, sound checks, services, in addition to school work, scans and appointments, and me having the boys all day this week as it is Easter break.  AND - we made big plans this weekend to have Erica, Brent and the kids here for Easter weekend.  Mel and Matt (Jon's sister and husband) and the girls will be in Camrose with Jon's parents, so we'll have a great time between here and there, eating, egg-hunting, and churching.  I'm really looking forward to it.  We do have a pretty fun family...

I started my course a few weeks ago - Education and the Law.  I was doing fairly well at getting a few hours in each day and I am working on my 3rd of 13 assignments (did quite well on my first one - 9/10).  It's nice to know that I can slip back into the groove without too much difficulty.  At least at this point.  I'm sure the expectations will change as I work my way through.  I know this week will be a write-off in terms of quality work time with everything else that is going on.  Work harder next week, maybe?

I am beyond frustrated with the paperwork side of this medical leave.  ARGH.  I have had to hassle both my general practitioner and my oncologist for the paperwork they have had in their possession for weeks and weeks because ASEBP (school benefits people) calls me almost daily to ask if I have had any luck.  I have not been paid at all for the month of March, and April is more than half over.  Makes things a little financially.... snug.  Apparently, my oncologist mailed his off last week and my GP was doing his over the weekend.  I will call today and pick it up today if it's ready, so I can mail it off myself.  I am so done with this headache procedure, and I'm sure that once it's all finished, there will be a glass (or four) of wine and a soak in the tub waiting for me. 

So, I dislike ending this post on that note.  What fun thing shall I write about?  The boys have been sick since Thursday night but fevers are gone and they are playing happily this morning?  That's happy.  Jon works a great shift this week and will be home by supper time each night?  That's happy too. 

Until next time,

Tricia

p.s. Easter is a holiday that I would like to be as celebrated as Christmas in my house.  It has even more significance and fills me with more conviction, hope, and gratitude than any other time of year.  I'm wishing you a meaningful, hope-filled Easter 2011.  <3

2 comments:

  1. It was really nice to read this update from you. We do still faithfully pray for you and your family. I had to chuckle at your "glass (or four) of wine and a soak in the tub..."!! We can all identify with that feeling :) We will be praying for you on Wednesday and Thursday and will be waiting to hear what happens.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Praying for you this Wednesday and always. :)

    ReplyDelete