Welcome!

This is totally an experiment. I know about blogs, I've read blogs, and I can write, but I have never attempted to blog myself. I guess I've never really felt like I had a compelling enough story. Well, I'm not sure I would use "compelling" to describe our story now, but I do know that since my diagnosis of cancer, Jon and I have been overwhelmed at the outpouring of love from family and friends all over the world. Many of you have questions and like to know what's going on in our world - medically and otherwise, and we are happy to share. Welcome to the "Rising Up" blog of the JOWT Friesen family!


Sunday, February 13, 2011

Two weeks in...

... and still feeling pretty good. The fatigue after the first day or two of treatment has really subsided and I'm just left with a few minor little things that are causing major mind games... "Is that a symptom?"  "I've always had that, but this..." and "I wonder if that is because of this or is my mind causing that to happen?"  I have to just stop and walk away from those nasty little games in order to save my sanity.  Anyway, I am feeling almost 100% after having tonsilitis (cause of the month-long hacking cold) and the rest of the family seems to have recovered after the circulating bug we've had since New Year's Day.  The weather this week has upped our spirits even more, and I'm feeling really on top of the world in terms of staying organized and scheduled.  Oh - except for getting into a little fender bender - that certainly dropped me down a notch or two.  But not for long.  I had a couple of productive and encouraging meetings, a day shopping with my best friend, a day out with Jon to see the RV Show, a lingerie party for another friend, and lots of time in between with my boys (who are back to believing in sleeping through the whole night at least most of the time).  It's been a great week. 

Valentine's Day doesn't hold a lot of weight in our house, and it never did, even when Jon and I were dating.  He has always taken offense to Hallmark's demands that every good husband WILL spend money on this particular day to prove that he is romantic and worth keeping.  You could be a loser all year, but if you buy roses, chocolate, even diamonds on one day in February, you are romantic.  Now, I agree with his philosophy wholeheartedly, but as my friend and I discussed the other day, I still feel a little left out on Valentine's Day.  It just causes me to dislike the day in general.  I need to focus on my two little valentines and use the opportunity to teach them how to treat a lady.  Maybe that should be Jon's job...

I have been giving some serious consideration to taking a few courses.  Many years ago I squeezed two degrees into 5 years and one summer, and that was great and all, but as a result, I ended up with my TC5 rather than my TC6.  From what I can figure, I am only 4 credit hours away from this TC6, and I have always intended to make up for that some day.  Well, Jon and I have discussed that perhaps "some day" is now.  I can't imagine I will ever have an opportunity like I do now - "sick" but healthy, sending my children off to the day home every weekday.  In hindsight, when I was on maternity leave with Owen, I could have taken a course or two.  He was such a good baby.   But I didn't know that ahead of time.  And then, on mat leave with William, I still could have - William was cooperative enough then, and I could have worked while both boys napped in the afternoons.  Again - no way to know that ahead of time.  So anyway, it seems like now is the time, so I've contacted the Graduate Studies department at my alma mater and requested some information and perhaps some academic counselling to help me make the best decisions.  I will probably need to take two courses (as most courses are 3h) to make up my missing 4h, but that's okay.  I found two courses that I'm really quite interested in taking.  I assume that because I am a graduate I need to take 5000 level courses rather than 1-4000 or Masters's level?  Anyone have any knowledge to share?

I'm getting pretty excited for our contemporary worship night at church this Saturday.  Shelley chose great music and the band has been working hard getting comfortable as a group.  I think it will be great and I'm looking forward to the benefits of working with the same people - getting a feel for the expectations and styles of each member. 

I'm praying this week that I will glorify God in my meetings, music, parenting, mundane housework, time management, friendships, and marriage.  It's a fairly large undertaking but I stand a chance because of the unending and unfailing help I have access to. 

1 comment:

  1. Sorry Tricia, I am clueless when it comes to your "course" questions ... but it's exciting to hear that you are venturing in that direction. Your right, why not! Would love to hear how Saturday night went ... a fantastic idea, I hope to attend the next one. I'm thankful that you are feeling mostly 100%, we continue to pray and I will pray now that those 'mind games' you speak of will be hushed before they start! Much love!

    ReplyDelete